Pharmaceutical Waste Disposal in Monroe County
The Monroe County Department of Environmental Services organizes pharmaceutical collections to provide residents with a safe and proper way to dispose of unused, unwanted medications. This includes prescription and over-the-counter medications, veterinary medications and nutritional supplements. Canfield Vet is unable to accept medication returns for either controlled or non-controlled substances. This information is provided to assist you with that need.
Current law prohibits the return of controlled substances to a pharmacy. Over-the-counter and non-controlled substances are also not normally accepted for disposal at pharmacies. These substances should not be thrown away or flushed down the drain because of contamination of water bodies. Keeping them around can lead to misuse or abuse. Please use the information below to help you dispose of these items properly:
Please keep your medications in their original containers. You may cross off your name and PERSONAL information ONLY. Please DO NOT cover up or remove the name or the dosage of the medication. All medications and their containers will be incinerated under law enforcement supervision.
You CAN Bring:
Prescription and over-the-counter medications, ointments, sprays, inhalers, creams, vials and pet medications.
You CANNOT Bring:
Illegal drugs, household hazardous waste (paint, pesticides, oil, gas).
Here’s a link to the DES Pharmaceutical Waste Disposal page (most of the information on this page is taken from their website):
How can you properly dispose of Pharmaceutical Waste?
The Monroe County ecopark (10 Avion Dr., Rochester, NY 14624) accepts unwanted medications during all hours of operation. Monroe County also holds collections three times per year at selected Wegmans pharmacies. Call (585) 753-7600 (Option #3) or use the link above to connect to the website for available drop off dates and locations. Here is a list of law enforcement agencies within Monroe County collecting pharmaceutical waste during certain regular times:
- Brighton Police Department (2300 Elmwood Ave. 14618) - Daily collections (M-F) 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (excluding holidays)
- Brockport Police Department (1 Clinton St. 14420) - Daily Collections (M-F) 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (excluding holidays)
- East Rochester Police Department (317 Main St. 14445) - Daily collections (M-F) 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. (excluding holidays)
- Fairport Police Department (31 S. Main St. 14450) - Daily Collections (M-F) 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (excluding holidays)
- Gates Police Department (1605 Buffalo Rd. 14624) - Daily collections (M-F) 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (excluding holidays)
- Greece Police Department (400 Island Cottage Rd. 14612) - Daily collections (M-F) 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (excluding holidays) Note: Sharps/needles not accepted.
- Irondequoit Police Department (1300 Titus Ave. 14617) - Daily collections (M-Sat.) 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Monroe County Sheriff's Office--All locations--Daily collections (M-F) 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (excluding holidays)
- A Zone Substation (789 Linden Ave. 14625)
- B Zone Substation (245 Summit Point Dr. 14467)
- C Zone Substation (2330 Union St. 14559)
- Property Room, Basement (130 S. Plymouth Ave. 14614)
- Ogden Police Department (269 Ogden Center Rd. 14559) - Daily collections (M-F) 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (excluding holidays)
- Webster Police Department (1000 Ridge Rd. 14580) - Daily Collections (M-F) 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (excluding holidays)
As this information changes or is updated by Monroe County, we will update this page to maintain current information for our clients.